torsdag 23. mai 2013

The Great Gatsby


I'll never forget when I first read the book. It was a few years ago, late in the afternoon and I was stuck in a bus station. I had just missed the bus I was supposed to be on, and me and my giant heavy suitcase was tired after a long day of planes and trains and all we wanted was to curl up in a warm bus and sleep. So there I was, on a cold bench in a cold bus station all by myself, and all I had to keep me company was F. Scott Fitzgerald and The Great Gatsby.
I was hooked after the first few pages, the hours flew by, I couldn't care less where I was and to this day, that remains as one of the greatest reading experiences I've ever had.

So when it comes to this story, all I really care about is the feel of it. I'll never forget how the book made me feel, and that's all I wanted from the film. I couldn't care less about actors or costumes or music, just as long as it felt right. And it did. It gave me chills. Beautiful chills.


Carey Mulligan, especially. Daisy is a really fascinating character, it's so easy to judge her for not being able to make the (obvious) choice between Tom and Jay, but at the same time we need to understand how she feels when she realizes she can never be what Gatsby has built her up to be. Carey Mulligan did a beautiful job, and she moved me more than a few times.

I thought this was a wonderful, wonderful film, exactly what I expected and more. The way DiCaprio, Mulligan and Edgerton were able to breathe so much life into these people, with all their feelings and love and woe, will undoubtedly stay with me for a while.


And I just have to: oh my good how good did Joel Edgerton look omg omg omg and that soundtrack I mean Watch The Throne was my favourite album of 2012 and Jay-Z was such a good choice for music and come on all those dresses I mean really and how kickass was it that he cast AMITABH BACHCHAN I mean that's just amazing and Luhrmann I love you I really do. Ok, I'm done.














Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar