mandag 7. oktober 2013

Some thoughts on (vintage) style.

I love rules. I love regulations. I panic when people don't follow rules, because that means chaos, and I need 
things to be neat and organized and regulated. Except when it comes to clothes.

I can truly say I've been through more style phases than most, I grew up in the 90s so I was a typical 90s kid, then in my early teens I jumped on the goth/emo/metal-bandwagon (mainly because no one else at my school did), in high school I did an eclectic mix of colours and 70s and hippie looks, using tons of my mom's old stuff and some new bright neon colors. I had a sixties phase, miniskirts and eyeliner and Julie Driscoll-hair, preppy librarian-style, and a couple of years ago all I wore was t-shirts and hoodies and even the odd trucker cap. I've done the 80s skinhead-style, complete with braces and Chelsea girl-hair. I even had a pagan/medieval phase, with flowing gowns and hair.

It might sound like I just can't seem to make up my mind, but truth is; I just love clothes. Styles. Love to dress up, both fancy and fancy dress. Life's too short to wear boring clothes etc. But people who put rules on their style? Come on. 

I've always been one for flea markets and thrift stores, so old clothes have surrounded me always. And I love old stuff. Anything older than me makes me jump for joy, so I suppose the only natural course of action is to let my clothes reflect that. And like I've mentioned, I've sort of been through the last five decades stylewise already. I like the fifties style. The forties style. The thirties. Definitely the twenties. You pick any decade, from here to year 0, and I will probably love it. This definitely puts me in the vintage-category, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I like it when girls commit to the «vintage»-style, and spend time curling their hair and cultivating their look no matter what. But I just don't know how they do it. Every time I think I've found my look, it takes a few weeks and then I want to try something new. I just love too many things, I can't tie myself to just one of them. Part of the reason for this is the rules. The most ridiculous thing I read is girls bitching about other girls for failing. Especially in the «vintage»-scene. («Geez, 40s clothes with modern hair and 60s-make up? How fail can you get doi hoi»). I hate to break it to you, but you live in 2013. I believe «vintage» is used to describe stuff from 20s-80s. If you, like me, was born in the late 80s you hardly have the right to call yourself vintage. There's is no difference between you in your pincurls and authentic 50s dress and that retro-girl down the road in her curling iron curls and Hell Bunny-dress.

That's what bugs me the most, how judgemental they can be to the gals who ain't «tr00» (a little metal-lingo there for ya), the ones who don't care how authentic their hair or makeup is and (god forbid) get their clothes at modern stores like H&M.
I'm sorry, but you might have spent years cultivating the ultimate 1928/1945/1956-style, but to the rest of the world you just look like a frumpy old lady or a hipster. The average person will never notice how «authentic» you look. The ones who will notice, however, are the «wannabes» you'd rather not associate yourself with..

Clothes should be fun. Hair should be fun. Spending weeks studying how women dressed in the year 1936 or trying to achieve that perfect wave or pincurl just doesn't sound like fun to me. 
I was born in '88. I have no right to claim any of the previous decades because I weren't there. 
I live here, now and I wanna be able to pair my 60s tweed suit with a Jedward-t shirt. I want to put on perfect 20s makeup and then wear my 70s Mao-suit.




I want to be able to dress like a clown one day, a boy the next without worrying how it can be tied to «my style», because it IS my style. I have a rather eclectic personality, naturally my clothes reflect that.

I should probably mention that this post might be tainted with my notorious «fear» of accidentally falling into a scene. I quickly abandoned my goth-look when I started high school, simply because there was a couple other goths there. I've always been the loner, the outcast, and even in groups that share my interests I still can't seem to fit in. So to avoid the whole business of socializing I try not to wear anything that can be perceived as a scene-uniform.  

Just because you have nice clothes doesn't mean I'll like you. And I'm pretty sure you won't like me either.









Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar