mandag 13. juli 2015

Stuff that annoys me in Gilmore Girls

I love Gilmore Girls. (Yes, I'm one of those.) But it's not so much about the mother/daughter-thing, it's a little about the small town-thing and mostly about the pop culture-references. I mean, I though it looked like a total crapfest for YEARS, and only decided to give it a shot because Sparks was gonna be on there, and ended up getting totally hooked.

Besides, I can't think of any other show that would have a young woman saying "you brought me the head of Alfredo Garcia!" when she gets a present, compare two different baby-personalities to Brian Jonestown Massacre & Dandy Warhols, have Sonic Youth as buskers - the list is endless, basically.

But it is within the awesomeness we find my annoyances.
(Also, this is stuff I only think of whenever I watch certain episodes, not something I carry with me. So I expect this post will be updated when I remember more.)

NUMBER 1:
When planning for Lorelai's birthday week, Lane gets the job to pick a song from every year Lorelai's been alive, and I quote:

LANE: Good. I’ve decided to choose one song from each year in Lorelai’s life. I’m almost done, though I’ve hit a snag in 1974.
RORY: Bad year?
LANE: It’s making the year of the Macarena look inspired.

I'm sorry, but 1974 was actually quite a year. In my opinion. But also judging by what we know about the music tastes of the characters, it should be to them as well. And most of all, it was also the year Sparks released TWO albums, that to this day is hailed as their best by most. It's the year of their biggest single. No other TV show in history has used Sparks as much as Gilmore Girls, Rory, Lane & Lorelai are all portayed as fans, which makes it impossible to believe they can't find ANYTHING in that year. (But yes, I believe this episode precedes all the Sparks-references, but it was still a big year for Gilmore-music. THE WAY WE WERE were still in the charts, for crying out loud.)

I know it's just supposed to be a joke, but as they're all portrayed as music snobs that mock modern music and continously praise the 70s, it just doesn't fit.

NUMBER 2:
A similar complaint, where the entire personality of the characters is thrown out for one small joke. When Rory is given a Birkin-bag by her boyfriend, and hearing the name her only comment is "I went to school with a guy named Birkin".

Now, I realize that since she's supposed to be clueless about the significance of the bag wouldn't be the same if she mentions Jane Birkin (who the bag is named after), but seeing as they seem to idolize every siren of the 70s in this show, it's just really out of character that she apparently doesn't even think of Jane Birkin when hearing about the Birkin-bag.


And yes, this might be insanely nerdy and nitpicky, but this is a show for nerds and nitpickers after all. What's the point even watching it if you don't catch the references?

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar